Saturday, April 12, 2008

Italy #2-- how could the worst pizza in the world be in Rome?

Yayyy free time. Sorta. Mom and Dad are in town, so I am pretty busy, but I have a few minutes to blog a bit more about what went down during the rest of my tenure in Italia.

After we said peace out to Bergson and Team Sussex, I went on a walking tour of Florence. It turns out there are a ton of churches and paintings....and that's about it. I'm not saying churches and paintings are lame, I honestly was in awe of every single dome, statue, and piece of artwork I saw. But still, it got to the point where I just wanted a change in pace, like a church that had some music playing and maybe some pictures of Jesus actually having a fun time instead of acting all miz on the cross. One thing that stood out-- The David. It was probably because of the architecture of the room, but honestly it just looked so amazingly large and powerful where it stood. I was shocked, and no matter how many pics I see after, I'll never forget the first time I saw it. Below is a pic of Bergson licking the outdoor version of David, right smack on the penis, while Phil cups the berries.




The next day Shara and I went to a small Tuscan town, Lucca, which has a circumference of about 5 km. I only mention this distance because the town is surrounded by a really old school wall, and Shara and I spent a few hours biking around it, overlooking the city, on reallly straight neon yellow bikes. It was beautiful. About 5 minutes in, we wanted to take a picture, and handed our cameras to a nice old English lady. She stepped back to take the pictures with a little more depth, tripped on the cooblestone, and fell on her sad old behind, throwing the cameras in the process. My first reaction was "shit, the cameras" before I realized that I should think "shit, the old lady." Her friend explained that she had just received new hips, making Shara and I feel even worse. She eventually got up, and took the pics- what a trooper.



Our day eventually ended, and we headed back to Florence, where Shara passed out and I went out with Phil to watch the Final Four games. I have an amazing story from that night, but it's not blog appropriate----ask me about the "r.kelly" story if you want to know more details.

The next day I headed alone to Rome, as everyone else had class to go to. I saw the entire city (minus the vatican, I hear it's lame) in about 6 hours. It turns out walking alone to see sights is really quick: I sorta sped walked from spot to spot, seeing every sight I was told to see, taking pictures and appreciating, then moving on. I started at the Colosseum, which is awesome, went throught the Palatine, the Roman Forum, to The Jewish Ghetto (where I did a tour of the old synogogue, obvi), the Pantheon, the Trevi Fountain (see the picture below), the Spanish Steps, and any other Piazza I passed. Sweet stuff, eh?



Well, it would have been a more memorable experience if I hadnt stopped for lunch in the Kosher area of Rome. I thought, hey Jared, you're in Italy, the pizza has to be friggin sweet.

NOT. It may have been the kosher part, but regardless, the pizza sucked. Worse than Pizza Hut. Worse than Dominos. Even worse than those Lunchables Pizzas we made in 6th grade (which were pretty good, so they prob shouldn't be on this list). I can't wait for New York Pizza.

Got back to Florence that night and had dinner with Devra's family, who were also visiting from Denver. Delicious food, and even though I had been to the restaurant the night before, it tasted better because it was free.

That night we went out for "Beatles Night" at a place that Maddie R. goes to every week. Her, Phil and I rocked out for about 4 hours listening to the best Beatles cover band I've ever heard. They are also the only Beatles coverband I've heard, so they may have actually sucked. But I liked it. Phil and Maddie did "the pancake" for a few hours (see the picture), and overall it was an unbelievable night. We ended up in a "secret bakery," where we had to be verrrry quiet if we were to get our food. We got the most delicious donuts and croissants I've ever had. Especially that croissant, hot damn. I thought it would just be a croissant like all them frenchies eat, but then BAM it exploded with a chocolate cumshot in my mouth. Fantastic!



Spent the next day with Shara and Maddie, eating and seeing more of Florence. Overall, I'd say Italy was amazing, a great success. I was happy to be back in Israel because I like Hebrew more than Italian, but I still would fly back there for the people and the good times in a heartbeat.

I will do a new post tomorrow about Adir's bday, one of the funniest nights of the year. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

jenny said...

I would like to make a slight ammendement to this post, Jared. The official name of the Wash U students at The University of Sussex is, in fact, "Briskman and Team Sussex". We also occasionally go by "Camp Tropelope".