Thursday, October 22, 2009

The East Village

Some times I ask myself, "who lives in the east village? where did they come from and why are they here?" I ask these questions because my neighborhood has such an eclectic assortment of people that I can't figure out how they coexist. We have hipsters, hot girls, young professionals, and best of all, this guy:



He lives on my corner, 14th and 1st. Every day he puts on his headphones and cutoff t shirt (in the summer he's straight up topless) and stands at the corner dancing to his music. When he gets tired of dancing, he lifts up the garbage can on the corner in intervals, his workout for the day. He is a character and a half. I also don't think he's homeless, because he doesn't ask for money. He just dances and lifts garbage.

Today he crossed the road. Yah, I'm as shocked as you are. Halfway across the road, still boppin to his beat, he almost got hit by a gray van (this is the point where I took the picture above). The van stopped just in time, and the driver yelled out his window "Hey be careful! You're gonna get killed!"

My man's response: "Yah so what! I don't care if I die! Kill me!" He then proceeded across the rest of the road slowly, narrowly escaping another crash, dancing the whole time.

Moral of the story: If you're going to be depressed and want to die, be patient, and until that day comes, keep on dancing.



Pretty shitty moral, but oh well. More posts to come soon, havent posted in a while and have since been to a gay strip club, seen Kenneth from 30Rock do improv, and got the Swine Flu. Stay Tuned.

1 comment:

David said...

The other day he's looking real mean. When I was five paces away he points his finger at me and says "psewwww!" as I walk by him he says "that was a bullet, it just missed you"