Sunday, August 23, 2009

How the stars of Gossip Girl fucked me over...almost

Here's the story:
At about 2pm on Friday I decided I would go to Chicago (via Milwaukee) for the weekend. I knew Airtran had their X fares deal, which is pretty cheap, and there were plenty of seats available, so i thought, why not, what could go wrong?

I arrived at Laguardia with time to spare, only to find myself stuck for 4.5 hours when Hurrican Bill struck the facilities. I went to the concourse bar with a girl I met who was on her way to see a Packers game, and due to the flight delays, the bar was so packed that the bartender couldn't keep tabs on all the beer she was handing out. Free beer! Yay!

Got to Milwaukee late, then took the drive down to Chi and spent a great weekend with Annabelle, including some nice time with cupcake and phil, among others. Chicago is a nice place, I like it there. I described it to someone as "New York but with nice people and a comparable polarity in their baseball teams' success this season." By that I mean the Cubs are the Windy City's version of the Mets...which isn't a good thing for either city.

On the way back I got another standby ticket, and while waiting at the gate I heard my name over the loudspeaker (he obviously struggled with his decision on how to pronounce it, but ended up going with the rhyming "kline-stine" rather than the typical "kline steen." No judgement passed, the name pronunciation isn't even agreed upon within our family).

What was he going to say? Did I get on the flight? Russell (I looked at his name tag so I could man flirt my way onto the flight) ended up completely blueballing me, telling me there were no seats available. Come on Russ. He did mention that three people had checked in but not gone through the gate yet. So I still had a chance.

Next thing I know, a couple in sunglasses come running down towards the gate, apologizing for having thought the flight was delayed longer. Who was it? These people below:



Yah, two actors from Gossip Girl. If the cast of that fucking show had held me back from getting to NYC, I would have gone ape shit and made it a goal to take down the CW and any shows that even remind me of that God Forsaken NYC prep school culture (no offense Mishkin).

It turned out there wasn't a third cast member, and I got on the flight with them (though they got the "luxury" of airtran first class). Luckily, the airline knew that I had been involved in an already long travel experience, so they made sure Laguardia re-routed our direct flight to NYC through Pittsburgh for an hour long refueling and sightseeing stop out the window of my seat on the plane. Now I can say I've been to Pittsburgh and I had two 9 hour travel days in one weekend. Thanks AirTran!

No comments: