Thursday, May 8, 2008

Indepenence Day, the balagan of balagans

Yesterday was Yom Haatzmaut, independence day, the 60th anniversary of the state of Israel. Big deal, the country has been preppin for it for months and months. It didn't disappoint.

The night started with Ollie, Joseph, Sam, Tomer and I driving into Tel Aviv around 8ish, picking up Matt on our way. Def not enough room in Ollie's car for 6, but I had shotgun so SUCK IT. We went to Rabin Square, where they were set up for an enormous concert and we met Adir. It felt like the entire country was there, but we had amazing seats and found ourselves in the middle of all the action. We sat drinking before the concert started, and the fact that its legal to just sit around with open alcohol in public around kids and such still blows my mind.

A couple highlights from the night:
1. We were dancing midway through the concert, and adir took off his shirt and handed one end of it to me so we could dance with it together. Tomer immediately says "LIMBO!" and within a minute we had about 25 people limbo-ing under the t shirt in the middle of the party. Classic. I'm not flexible enough to impress, so I did it early on then took the role of "jerk who holds the limbo pole and pulls it down as people go under so they fall." I'm a good guy but I feel like there's no other way to limbo-hold.

2. We got to the street party on Florentine, and at one point, for some unknown reason, Ollie and I decided it was a good idea to pretend to be angry drunks and smash the ends of beer bottles and fake fight. Well, Ollie's didnt crack, and mine cracked too much, giving me a lil papercut on my thumb. Bummer!

3. At around 5:00 am, Ollie and Matt and I drove to Jerusalem, getting in around 5 45ish. I thought we'd be sleeping when we got here, but instead I was surprised to find myself at a early morning rave. It was light out, and kids were mad-drugged out and doing weird dance moves. We were awfully uncomfortable, so we decided to imitate them and dance as if we too were stoned out of our minds. We weren't, but someone was videotaping us, and Im sure I could fool most. I'm an excellent actor, in my post blog life I plan on doing that. Or just get a legit job.

Went to bed around 7 on Jules' floor, woken up at 9. Successful night, happy Birthday Israel.

No comments: